Guide:||This page is intended as a basic practical guide. We recommend you seek appropriate professional advice before acting upon it. |
A joint publication of the Council on Foundations (USA) and the European Foundation Centre, this guide suggests eight key principles for disaster grantmaking:
- First, do no harm.
- Stop, look and listen before taking action.
- Don't act in isolation.
- Think beyond the immediate crisis to the long term.
- Bear in mind the expertise of local organizations.
- Find out how prospective grantees operate.
- Be accountable to those you are trying to help.
- Communicate your work and use it as an educational tool.