Philanthropy, development and fundraising in arts/culture and sport
This paper, prepared by QUT's Centre of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies for the Commonwealth Government, is a study of international literature on philanthropy, development and fundraising as it applies to the arts, culture and sport. It details examples of best practice in the USA, the UK and Canada, examining such topics as marketing, fundraising vehicles, the stewardship of donors, and the climate of giving. The paper includes information on:
- social, technological, economic, political and demographic trends affecting the climate of arts giving
- arguments for supporting the arts and sport
- attitudes affecting support for the arts and sport
- involvement of volunteers
- analysing philanthropic markets
The paper concludes with a range of questions and conclusions, hoping to assist in the identification of strategies and structures for philanthropic support of the the arts and sport in Australia.